On August 16, 1947 KTIL went on the air as a 250 watt AM radio station. The small station began as a four room structure at 170 West Third Street between the Trask and Tillamook Rivers. KTIL became an AM/FM station in 1986, more than tripling the coverage area with 5000 watts on the AM and 6500 watts on the FM. In 1994 KTIL ended simulcasting on AM and FM and became two stations, KTIL FM and KMBD AM. On March 15,1999 KTIL FM moved its transmitter to the top of Cape Meares mountain and began broadcasting in full stereo.
Throughout the history of KTIL and then KTIL/KMBD, the staff has always been involved in community affairs and nearly every employee is a member of at least one civic organization. Current representation includes Board of Directors of Tillamook County General Hospital, Board of Directors of the Pioneer Museum, Board of Directors of the School District, Board of Directors of the Tillamook PUD, Board of Directors of the Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors for the Water District and Board of Directors for the Northwest Economic Alliance, along with representation in the Kiwanis, Oregon Special Olympics, Toastmasters, Tillamook Business Association, Tillamook Food Bank, Tillamook County Health Department, Boy Scouts of America, and the Women's Crisis Center.